Happy new year, everyone! The MIUI 9 Global Beta updates continue in 2018. The developers have special surprises in this year. First, MIUI 9 Stable ROM will roll out in early 2018. Secondly, we might even see MIUI 10 in late 2018. However, moving to the first MIUI 9 update of this year (MIUI 9 2018) as well as this week’s update ‘MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4’, we have some new button layout and optimization done to Mi Browser. These include the introduction of auto-suggestion in the address bar, to save your time type the complete URL.
Moreover, we also have some incredile major fixes as well in the MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4 update.
You can get the last week’s update ‘MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 7.12.28‘ as well.
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4 – How to Download?
The users who are using MIUI 8 Global Beta ROM can grab your update three methods:
OTA (Over the Air) Method
The simplest, risk-free, and the easiest way to jump to MIUI 9 is Via OTA. But let us tell you that if you want to go from Stable to Beta Version of MIUI 9, OTA update is not possible. You have to use the Fastboot method or Recovery method. Here’s the OTA method mentioned in three simple steps:
- Open Mi Updater App
- Click software update
- Confirm and Download the update
- Go to Settings
- Click My device
- Go to MIUI version
- Click System Update
- Click the update now in the notification bar.
- Wait for the downloading to complete
- Click reboot
Meanwhile, the user who are using MIUI V5 / MIUI 6 / MIUI 7 / MIUI 8 stable ROM can upgrade their phones to MIUI 9 via the fastboot method.
Fast Boot Method
This one is a little bit complicated and risky. If you haven’t received the update for your supported phone, you can’t try this. Moreover, it’s the only way to shift from Stable to Beta or Beta to Stable ROM or Developer to Stable / Beta.
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Download & install Mi Flash Tool – here
- Download the Fastboot ROM (will be in .tgz or .tar file)
How To Make a Local Backup?
- Go to settings – additional settings – backup & reset
- Click ‘Local backup – Backup’, to create the backup and move it to PC before flashing
- Do remember, it includes only apps so multimedia files need to be backup separately
Steps Before Fast-booting
- Switch off your phone, press and hold volume down and power button simultaneously, it should power up the phone with fastboot screen
- Connect your phone via USB to PC, click ‘refresh’ button in flash tool app and it should show device ID.
- If not, install Mi PC Suite and drivers posted above.
- Extract the fastboot ROM you downloaded, to a folder on PC
- Open MiFlash tool, and select ‘clean all’ in the right down corner
- Click ‘Select’ and browse to a folder where you extracted the Fastboot ROM and click ‘Flash’
- It will start flashing the phone and will take around 3-5 Minutes depending on the PC and device.
- The device will reboot with MIUI 9.
Warning!!! Don’t remove the USB cable when the phone is fast-booting.
Safety Measure: We recommend to backup your data before fastboot. Shifting from Developer mode to Stable requires a complete wipe.
If you want a fresh installation, you can also select the recovery mode option and download the Recovery ROM.
- Download the model’s MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM mentioned below.
- Copy the.Zip file to an SD card.
- Open recovery mode.
- Select the file from the SD card and Install.
A friend of mine uploaded the video when MIIU 9 was released back in the first batch. Here’s a video, instructing how to install and download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM on any Xiaomi Device:
Note: Make sure you have a backup of the previous ROM.
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4 – The Supported Devices
You can get the MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4 update on these devices:
- Redmi Note 4 MTK
- Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm/Redmi Note 4X
- Mi Note 2
- Mi 5
- Mi 5s Plus
- Mi Max
- Mi Max Prime
- Mi 3
- Mi 4
- Redmi 3
- Redmi 3S
- Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm
- Redmi Note 3 Special Edition
- Redmi Note 2
- Redmi 4/4X
Note: Update for Mi 2/2S, Mi 4i, Mi Note Redmi Note, Redmi Note Prime, Redmi 2 and Redmi 2 Prime, Redmi 4A, Mi 6, Mi MIX 2 has been suspended.
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4 – Changelog
- Auto-suggestion in Address Bar in Mi Browser
- New Bottom Menu Design
- A Home screen shortcut for Cleaner
- Add photos to favorites
- Now you can add Home screen shortcuts in Android O
- The navigation keys overlap with the keyboard when using ‘Quick replying’ feature
- Home screen hangs or lags after the update.
- The SMS interface is left aligned when phone language Arabic or Hebrew
- The “Move” option was displayed as “Copy” in Explorer
- Automatic updates turned off if you restricted Updater’s notifications
- System launcher wasn’t responding
- Screen buttons overlapped with the keyboard during quick replies in the Notification shade
- UI adjustments for RTL languages in Messaging
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4 – Download Links
The download links will be provided this Friday.
Update: The links are available now.
Mi Max 32GB
Mi 3 / Mi 4
Redmi Note 3 (Qualcomm)
Redmi Note 3 Special Edition
Redmi Note 2
Mi Max 64G/128G
Redmi Note 4 (MTK)
Redmi Note 4 (Qualcomm) / Redmi Note 4X
Mi Note 2
Mi 5s Plus
Xiaomi Mi Max 2
Redmi Note 5A/Redmi Y1 Lite
Redmi Note 5A Prime/Redmi Y1
We hope you will successfully update to MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4. If you are facing any problems, let us know in the comment section.