Xiaomi finally releases MIUI 9 Global Beta for the third batch, this September. You can now enjoy the latest ROM for the Xiaomi smartphones via OTA updates or download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM and install it via Recovery Mode or Fastboot. The only devices left are:
- Redmi Pro
- Mi 1/1S
- Mi 2A
- Mi 3
These devices are delayed because of the instability factor in the developmental version. The update for the remaining smartphones will be provided in late September.
How to Download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM?
The users who are using MIUI 8 Global Beta ROM can grab your update three methods:
OTA (Over the Air) Method
The simplest, risk-free, and the easiest way to jump to MIUI 9 is Via OTA. But let us tell you that if you want to go from Stable to Beta Version of MIUI 9, OTA update is not possible. You have to use the Fastboot method or Recovery method. Here’s the OTA method mentioned in three simple steps:
- Open Mi Updater App
- Click software update
- Confirm and Download the update
- Go to Settings
- Click My device
- Go to MIUI version
- Click System Update
- Click the update now in the notification bar.
- Wait for the downloading to complete
- Click reboot
Meanwhile, the user who are using MIUI V5 / MIUI 6 / MIUI 7 / MIUI 8 stable ROM can upgrade their phones to MIUI 9 via the fastboot method.
Fast Boot Method
This one is a little bit complicated and risky. If you haven’t received the update for your supported phone, you can’t try this. Moreover, it’s the only way to shift from Stable to Beta or Beta to Stable ROM or Developer to Stable / Beta.
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Download & install Mi Flash Tool – here
- Download the Fastboot ROM (will be in .tgz or .tar file)
How To Make a Local Backup?
- Go to settings – additional settings – backup & reset
- Click ‘Local backup – Backup’, to create the backup and move it to PC before flashing
- Do remember, it includes only apps so multimedia files need to be backup separately
Steps Before Fast-booting
- Switch off your phone, press and hold volume down and power button simultaneously, it should power up the phone with fastboot screen
- Connect your phone via USB to PC, click ‘refresh’ button in flash tool app and it should show device ID.
- If not, install Mi PC Suite and drivers posted above.
- Extract the fastboot ROM you downloaded, to a folder on PC
- Open MiFlash tool, and select ‘clean all’ in the right down corner
- Click ‘Select’ and browse to a folder where you extracted the Fastboot ROM and click ‘Flash’
- It will start flashing the phone and will take around 3-5 Minutes depending on the PC and device.
- The device will reboot with MIUI 9.
Warning!!! Don’t remove the USB cable when the phone is fast-booting.
Safety Measure: We recommend to backup your data before fastboot. Shifting from Developer mode to Stable requires a complete wipe.
If you want a fresh installation, you can also select the recovery mode option and download the Recovery ROM.
- Download the model’s MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM mentioned below.
- Copy the.Zip file to an SD card.
- Open recovery mode.
- Select the file in the SD card and Install.
A friend of mine uploaded the video when MIIU 9 was released back in the first batch. Here’s a video, instructing how to install and download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM on any Xiaomi Device:
Note: Make sure you have a backup of the previous ROM.
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM – The Supported Devices
You can get the MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 7.9.7 update on these devices:
- Mi 5
- Mi Max
- Mi 2
- Mi 2s
- Mi 4
- Mi Note
- Mi 4i
- Redmi 3
- Redmi 3S/3X
- Redmi 2 (Android 4.4)
- Redmi 2 (Android 5.1)
- Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm
- Redmi Note 3 Special Edition (MediaTek)
- Redmi Note 4G
- Redmi Note 2
- Mi Max Prime (64GB/128GB)
- Redmi Note 4
- Redmi Note 4X/Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
- Mi Note 2
- Mi 5s
- Redmi 4X
- Mi 5s Plus
- Mi 6
- Mi Max 2
Download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM – The Links
The following links are of the latest MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 7.9.7, including the previous as well as the new Xiaomi smartphones:
Mi Max 32GB
Mi 2 / Mi 2s
Redmi 2 (Android 4.4)
Redmi 2 (Android 5.1)
Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm
Redmi Note 3 Special Edition (MediaTek)
Redmi Note 4G
Redmi Note 2
Mi Max Prime (64GB/128GB)
Redmi Note 4
Redmi Note 4X/Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm
Mi Note 2
Mi 5s Plus
Mi Max 2
Hope you will successfully download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM. Let’s talk in the comment section regarding your experience with MIUI 9, any problems, and improvements needed.
You can see the changelog from here.