Finally, the moment we all have been waiting for. Xiaomi has started providing Android 8.0 ‘Oreo’ update to its flagships. Today, apart from some new features and fixes, Xiaomi Mi 6 users experiences Android O platform in this MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.11.
How to Update Xiaomi Mi 6 To Android 8.0 Oreo?
- First, Mi 6 users should move to MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 7.12.1 if they are on MIUI 9 Global Stable version. You can successfully switch from Stable to Global via the Fastboot method.
- Go to the OTA updates after installing MIUI 9 Global Beta on your phone.
- Update to Android O.
You can get the last week’s update ‘MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.4‘ as well.
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.11 – How to Download?
The users who are using MIUI 8 Global Beta ROM can grab your update three methods:
OTA (Over the Air) Method
The simplest, risk-free, and the easiest way to jump to MIUI 9 is Via OTA. But let us tell you that if you want to go from Stable to Beta Version of MIUI 9, OTA update is not possible. You have to use the Fastboot method or Recovery method. Here’s the OTA method mentioned in three simple steps:
- Open Mi Updater App
- Click software update
- Confirm and Download the update
- Go to Settings
- Click My device
- Go to MIUI version
- Click System Update
- Click the update now in the notification bar.
- Wait for the downloading to complete
- Click reboot
Meanwhile, the user who are using MIUI V5 / MIUI 6 / MIUI 7 / MIUI 8 stable ROM can upgrade their phones to MIUI 9 via the fastboot method.
Fast Boot Method
This one is a little bit complicated and risky. If you haven’t received the update for your supported phone, you can’t try this. Moreover, it’s the only way to shift from Stable to Beta or Beta to Stable ROM or Developer to Stable / Beta.
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Download & install Mi Flash Tool – here
- Download the Fastboot ROM (will be in .tgz or .tar file)
How To Make a Local Backup?
- Go to settings – additional settings – backup & reset
- Click ‘Local backup – Backup’, to create the backup and move it to PC before flashing
- Do remember, it includes only apps so multimedia files need to be backup separately
Steps Before Fast-booting
- Switch off your phone, press and hold volume down and power button simultaneously, it should power up the phone with fastboot screen
- Connect your phone via USB to PC, click ‘refresh’ button in flash tool app and it should show device ID.
- If not, install Mi PC Suite and drivers posted above.
- Extract the fastboot ROM you downloaded, to a folder on PC
- Open MiFlash tool, and select ‘clean all’ in the right down corner
- Click ‘Select’ and browse to a folder where you extracted the Fastboot ROM and click ‘Flash’
- It will start flashing the phone and will take around 3-5 Minutes depending on the PC and device.
- The device will reboot with MIUI 9.
Warning!!! Don’t remove the USB cable when the phone is fast-booting.
Safety Measure: We recommend to backup your data before fastboot. Shifting from Developer mode to Stable requires a complete wipe.
If you want a fresh installation, you can also select the recovery mode option and download the Recovery ROM.
- Download the model’s MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM mentioned below.
- Copy the.Zip file to an SD card.
- Open recovery mode.
- Select the file from the SD card and Install.
A friend of mine uploaded the video when MIIU 9 was released back in the first batch. Here’s a video, instructing how to install and download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM on any Xiaomi Device:
Note: Make sure you have a backup of the previous ROM.
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.11 – The Supported Devices
You can get the MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.11 update on these devices:
- Redmi Note 4 MTK
- Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm/Redmi Note 4X
- Mi Note 2
- Mi 5
- Mi 5s Plus
- Mi Max
- Mi Max Prime
- Mi 3
- Mi 4
- Redmi 3S
- Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm
- Redmi Note 3 Special Edition
- Redmi Note 2
- Redmi 4/4X
- Redmi 4A
The update has been suspended for:
- Xiaomi Redmi 3
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 2
Important Notice: For users of Mi 4, Redmi 3S, Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm, Redmi Note 3 Special Edition, Redmi Note 4 MTK, Redmi 4X, please update your Google Map to the latest version after upgrading via OTA. Otherwise, FC issue will occur in these devices.
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.11 – Changelog
- Sound recording options for Screen recorder
- Press and hold a button on the dial pad to quick dial a number
- New format for floating notifications in the landscape mode (Full-screen display)
- Brand new homepage of Mi Apps with visual and UI effect highly enhanced
- Weather info is not aligned with notification & status bar in landscape mode
- ‘Mobile data’ label is misaligned in Restrict data usage settings
- Black screen appears and then lock screen is displayed
MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.11 – Download Links
You can download the ROM for your Xiaomi smartphone from the links given below:
Mi Max 32GB
Mi 3 / Mi 4
Redmi Note 3 (Qualcomm)
Redmi Note 3 Special Edition
Redmi Note 2
Mi Max 64G/128G
Redmi Note 4 (MTK)
Redmi Note 4 (Qualcomm) / Redmi Note 4X
Mi Note 2
Mi 5s Plus
Xiaomi Mi Max 2
Redmi Note 5A/Redmi Y1 Lite
Redmi Note 5A Prime/Redmi Y1
We hope you will successfully update to MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.11. If you are facing any problems, let us know in the comment section.