Yesterday, Xiaomi launched the MIUI 9 for the second batch consisting of Mi MIX, Mi Note 2, Mi 5, Mi 5s, Mi 5s Plus, Mi Max 2, Mi Max, Redmi 4X. The new MIIU 9 also serves as the update for the first batch consisting of Mi 6, Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm/4X and Mi 5s. Now MIUI fans can download and enjoy MIUI 9 on these smartphones via OTA updates or download the ROM and install it via Recovery Mode or Fastboot.
Before you install any ROM, please click ‘check update’ in the Mi Updater APP so that your phone may update to the latest ROM, and if it’s not MIUI 9, then you can use the Fastboot or recovery method.
People who are using MIUI 8 Global Beta ROM can update by going into Mi Updater and check for updates. Meanwhile, people who are using MIUI V5 / MIUI 6 / MIUI 7 / MIUI 8 stable ROM can upgrade their phones to MIUI 9 via the fastboot method.
How To Install MIUI ROM?
OTA (Over the Air) Method
The simplest, risk-free, and the easiest way to jump to MIUI 9 is Via OTA. But let us tell you that if you want to go from Stable to Beta Version of MIUI 9, OTA update is not possible. You have to use the Fastboot method or Recovery method. Here’s the OTA method mentioned in three simple steps:
- Open Mi Updater App
- Click software update
- Confirm and Download the update
- Go to Settings
- Click My device
- Go to MIUI version
- Click System Update
- Click the update now in the notification bar.
- Wait for the downloading to complete
- Click reboot
Meanwhile, the user who are using MIUI V5 / MIUI 6 / MIUI 7 / MIUI 8 stable ROM can upgrade their phones to MIUI 9 via the fastboot method.
Fast Boot Method
This one is a little bit complicated and risky. If you haven’t received the update for your supported phone, you can’t try this. Moreover, it’s the only way to shift from Stable to Beta or Beta to Stable ROM or Developer to Stable / Beta.
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Download & install Mi Flash Tool – here
- Download the Fastboot ROM (will be in .tgz or .tar file)
How To Make a Local Backup?
- Go to settings – additional settings – backup & reset
- Click ‘Local backup – Backup’, to create the backup and move it to PC before flashing
- Do remember, it includes only apps so multimedia files need to be backup separately
Steps Before Fast-booting
- Switch off your phone, press and hold volume down and power button simultaneously, it should power up the phone with fastboot screen
- Connect your phone via USB to PC, click ‘refresh’ button in flash tool app and it should show device ID.
- If not, install Mi PC Suite and drivers posted above.
- Extract the fastboot ROM you downloaded, to a folder on PC
- Open MiFlash tool, and select ‘clean all’ in the right down corner
- Click ‘Select’ and browse to a folder where you extracted the Fastboot ROM and click ‘Flash’
- It will start flashing the phone and will take around 3-5 Minutes depending on the PC and device.
- The device will reboot with MIUI 9.
Warning!!! Don’t remove the USB cable when the phone is fast-booting.
Safety Measure: We recommend to backup your data before fastboot. Shifting from Developer mode to Stable requires a complete wipe.
If you want a fresh installation, you can also select the recovery mode option and download the Recovery ROM.
- Download the model’s MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM mentioned below.
- Copy the.Zip file to an SD card.
- Open recovery mode.
- Select the file from the SD card and Install.
A friend of mine uploaded the video when MIIU 9 was released back in the first batch. Here’s a video, instructing how to install and download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM on any Xiaomi Device:
Note: Make sure you have a backup of the previous ROM.
Download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM
If you have any of the above-mentioned phones, please go to the updater and check for the updates for use fastboot or recovery ROMS. You have to unlock the device if you want to install via fastboot method.
Here are the links:
Mi Note 2
Mi 5s Plus
Mi Max 2
Redmi Note Qualcomm / Redmi Note 4X
To download China ROM click here.
The third batch now left containing old models which will be updated something in September.
Hope you will update and download MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM successfully. Good luck!